Trampolines has a history of many shades but the history of how modern trampolines came into existence cannot be recounted accurately without mentioning people like George Nissen and Larry Griswold in 1936, it all started at the University of Iowa, united states of America, Griswold was a tumbler on the gymnastic team and Nissen was a gymnastics diver, the idea behind trampoline was birthed after Nissen watched a certain trapeze artist used tight net to add entertainment and glamour to his stage performance, the name trampoline originated from the Spanish trampolin meaning a “diving board”. In 1942 they both started the commercial creation of trampolines in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, it has overtime become a subtle game for recreations, it was also a very viable training tool for pilots during the World War 2 and now has overtime carved for itself a space in worlds sporting arena with the name “rebound tumbling”
Trampoline can best be described as a piece of equipment that allows one to easily jump up and down for the purpose of sports, leisure and training, it comprises of a large piece of very strong clothing stylishly held by springs within a frame, the major components that forms a trampolines are:
- The mat: is usually made of polypropylene material or nylon, it stands out as one of the most important part of the trampoline that takes the countless numbers of jumps and so it is designed with high resilience strength
- The springs: it has a uniquely designed spring made of galvanized rust-resistant steel, the bigger the coils the higher its capabilities to generate more bounce, although it does wears out overtime.
- The frame: just like the spring frame is also made of galvanised rust-resistant steel, its designed of standard to withstand thud pressure and stable support all through
- Safety pads: this is soft absorbent material placed at the edge of the frame to create easy contact without getting hurt.
- Safety net: this optional and are most times good for toddlers, they built with standard polyethylene, polypropylene or polyester to offer perimeter guides.
Over the years the awesome peculiarities that the trampoline exerts has compelled the creation of different types of trampolines that will accommodate different purposes and different ages, some notable options for this trampolines are; the ACON air 4.3 round, the ACON rectangle trampoline, the little tikes trampoline for kids, the rave o-zone water trampolines and then the spring free jumbo square trampoline; however overtime there seem to be a rising concern with regards to the safety level in the usage of trampolines, no doubt there are risking like broken bones, cuts, scrapes, bruises, concussions, head trauma, sprains, strains, cervical spine injuries etc but the safety of trampolines lies in the ability of the users to first follow its true guidelines for usage. Trampolines are safe provided you:
- Provided that there is an adult/professional supervision that guides you while you are on it
- Somersaults or flips move should not be attempted by anyone who is not well trained in it
- It is advisable not to jump on trampolines when its wet
- Do not carry out risky stunts on trampolines
- It is much better for only one person to jump at a time
- Frequently carryout inspection of trampoline to check and immediately replace defective parts.
Having fulfilled all the above safety guidelines a trampoline is said to be safe to use because:
- They reduce restlessness and eliminate stress, according to the United States national library of medicine trampolining redirects energy for kids with ADHD when bouncing.
- Rebounding is safe on joints because it is comparative to high-impact activities like jogging; rebounding on a soft high quality trampoline gives lower and better impact on the joints.
- Trampolines are safe because they increase the strength of the heart and lungs, with the increasing occurrence of cardiovascular diseases mostly caused by sedentary lifestyle, trampolines is a safe precautionary exercise that works just like other exercises such as jogging, cycling, knee raises etc.
- Trampolines are safe because they have safety net to serve as boundaries, edge pads to reduce pain-impact with metallic frame, durable nets specially designed to withstand any magnitude of pressure, they also have durable anti-rust resistant springs that holds the impact nets.
- Trampolines are safe because they reduce body cellulite volume and then increase muscle strength, body balance and coordination.
BENEFITS OF TRAMPOLIN TO TODDLERS
Who is a toddler?
A toddler is a child of age 1 to 7, they are called toddlers because they toddle at this age, and they are at a time of significant social, cognitive, physical and emotional development. Most 30 to 36th month old toddlers begin to find physical activities interesting and one of such physical activities is trampolining but for medical reasons and also due to the fact that there bones are still very much fragile it is advisable to use mini-trampolin with safety nets. Benefits that could come from the use of toddlers are:
- It teaches them persistence: because mastering specific kind of skills on a trampoline requires a very long time of practice and so because trampoline spurs out a lot of fun, kids are willing to persist on it until they get to master their moves.
- Enhances their learning abilities: because as kids continue to learn how to effectively control their body movements on trampoline they also learn how to build muscle control and coordination ability, this will also increase other areas of their learning abilities.
- Trampoline increases the self esteem of toddlers: as the child continuous to use the trampoline and then gets better with it; he will overtime begin to gain a significant level of confidence that will transform into a better self image.
- Trampoline increases their flexibility level: because most toddlers are still very much in the development stage of their life they can easily use the trampoline to increase their muscle lengths and enhance its
- Effective cardiovascular system: toddlers too can also suffer cardiovascular disorder because they are exposed to cellulite diet and at that stage may not be able to control their diet, but by trampolining the heart beat rate is increase and so the heart gets a great workout.
- Enhancement in motor skills: during trampolining there is a usually balance and coordination in the brain because during the trampolining exercise the brain is forced to open on both sides and so the body must work together to ensure coordination and balance which will then build their motor skills.
- Enhanced posture: aside the balance that trampolining gives to toddlers it can also enhance posture because the floor of the trampoline is constantly moving and so toddlers will always have to maintain their centre of gravity which will also help them in other
- It’s fun yet an exercise: the trampoline can serve as alternative for kids whom might not want to be involved in other very tedious exercise, with trampoline they have fun and still exercise.
5 BEST TRAMPOLINES FOR BABY (TODDLERS)
In selecting trampolines for toddlers indoor trampolines are safer, because indoor trampolines are specially designed with features for optimum safety, they are safer because and best because their potential bounce height is just about a fraction of the larger outdoor models, they can serve babies (toddlers) between the ages of 3 to 8 with a low bounce spectrum, with different sizes to suit different age ranges from 3 to 8. Based on research the best 5 trampolines are:
- The original toy company fold and go trampoline
They are called fold and go because they are specially designed to be moved within different spaces while indoor and then folded and kept away after use, they give toddlers the best bounce experience, strong and durable metallic frame to withstand pressure up to 150 pounds and is most ideal for toddlers still under the age of 5
- Can be easily assembled
- Has a height and weight limiter
- Has a sturdy build structure
- Comes with a handlebar to provide support
- Can be easily folded and stores away.
- The bouncing surfaces are very soft and can be easily torn
- Most times dismantling it can take a longer period of time
- Some users complain of the strong plastic smell it emits
- Not very good for toddlers that weighs above 150 pounds
- Bolts may rust after sometime
- The little tikes’ 3’trampoline:
This trampoline stands as one of the best options for kids because it is has style, comfort and durability to give toddlers the best of fun; it comes with a safety bar for toddlers to hold while they continue to bounce.
- Can be easily assembled
- Has no spring therefore n risk of injury
- Features are of high quality
- Sturdy built
- Occupies less in-house space
- Cannot be easily stored
- Has potential foam (choking) hazards
- Can be slippery during jumping sessions
- The cover for handle bar can easily wear off
- Can only accommodate one person at a time
- Little tikes climb and slide 7th trampolines:
this type of trampoline are designed to multi-task, it is of light weight with a weight limit range of 115 pounds, It is most appropriate for toddlers between age 3 to 5, the manufacturers understand the youthfulness and carefree nature of toddlers within this age range and so it has safety features like net and slide outlet to provide maximum enclosure & fun for toddlers while playing, it is designed with soft quality durable material that will last you longer time.
- Can be easily assembled
- Has a safety net with two zip enclosures to provide full guard while playing
- Has slides and climbing steps
- Has light weight/metals covered with metals
- Occupies lesser room space.
- The nets could become frayed after a period of time
- Parts are delivered in more than one box
- The feet of the trampoline are not so sturdy
- Cannot be used by family with many kids
- The plastic feet (base) could get broken or burnt.
- eHomekart trampoline:
This is a 38 inch sized trampoline with great features that endear kids to it, it stands out as one of the best options for starters, and it’s foldable and so can be easily stored, over the years kids love this mini-trampoline because of it encompassing appeal, it is the most appropriate choice for toddlers who fall within the age range of 4 to 8 years.
- Can be easily assembled
- Has a sturdy leg for its base and so cannot break during exercise
- Has no sharp spring ends
- Has rust resistant frame
- Light weight
- Has a slippery nylon surface
- The straps can rip off after a period of time
- Cannot take weights more than130 pounds
- Has no handle bar for toddler supports
- Has no safety net
- The eHomekart trampoline for kids:
this is a another play tool that has all it takes to make toddlers playtime safe and fun filled this brand of trampoline is very popular because they can be found in different stores with high patronage level for it. Has a body built safety standards like anti-rust steel poles that ensure stability their springs are unique and can provide comfortable soft bounce, children between the ages of 2-8 years, with the capacity to take up to a 70 kg (max) so that more than one toddler can jump on it at once.
- Has a good sturdy build
- Has a quality net enclosure for safety
- Has a number of other safety features to ensure smooth usage
- Can be easily assembled with no need for drilling holes.
- Can comfortably accommodate more than one toddler.
- Bolts may rust after some time
- Foam can wear out after a period of time
- Surfaces can easily be pricked or scratched
- Parts are not readily available.
- Takes a lot of in-house space
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
QUESTION 1: Are trampolines safe for 2 and 3 year old toddlers?
ANSWER 1: No doubt trampoline can pose a significant risk to toddlers between age 2 & 3 majorly because their system is still very much in its developmental stage, but considering the fun & other bundle of benefits that comes with using a trampoline I think it’s safe for toddlers between ages of 2 to 3 to use trampoline provided there has is direct supervision, also there are a number of specially designed trampoline for children to play with and they are designed with care & features to provide safety & evoke maximum fun for the toddler. The irony of not wanting to use a trampoline is that the child might jump on the sofa or bed of which I feel is riskier because the beds or sofa are not designed for such purpose. Trampoline should be an indispensable play tool for toddlers because it facilitates physical development, it improves motor skills, they learn how to balance, develop good posture, it burns child’s excessive fat. The fear of safety overtime is due to the fact that a toddler between the ages of 2 & 3 can sustain injuries while jumping, but that’s not true because toddlers between the ages of 2 & 3 cannot jump so high but can only do tiny bounces, toddlers of that age range don’t do somersaults & most of the trampoline for toddlers have just a foot height above the ground, with some having elastic bands instead of springs, with just one jumper space.
QUESTION 2: What is the relationship between trampoline and brain development?
The relationship that exist between the brain and trampolines are quite numerous, trampolines are one of the exercises that stimulate nerve cells to emit chemicals (neurotrophic factors), they act swiftly as fertilizer for the brain cells, this fertilizer like chemical are protein that stimulate rapid brain cell growth and also aid the connection of this brain cells to other neutrons. Up and down bouncing process in a trampoline goes against gravity and so it circulates oxygen to all tissues of the body, build stronger nerve pathways on both sides of the brains, during bouncing the lymphatic ducts tends to expand and give allowance for seamless flow of lymph this process develops a better and a stronger immune system and body detoxification. The human eye is connected to the brain, during jumping on a trampoline the human eye is fixed in just one direction and this creates an enhanced visual coordination that will then lead to improved brain coordination.
QUESTION 3: What are the age recommendations for the use of trampolines?
ANSWER 3: the choice of trampolines depends on age because age a major indices for the measure of body development and so it is appropriate you know age and the trampolines that come with it, the market demand for trampoline is huge and so the process of purchasing trampoline especially as parent must come with a lot of critical considerations, parents are expected to purchase a trampoline that won’t affect the health and safety of the children; however the rules for choosing the a trampolines are not written on marble but with requisite experience I think I can recommend:
- for age under three
It is not advisable to use backyard trampolines, rather you can get mini trampolines that can be used indoor with proper supervision and safety features.
- For age four (4) to ten (10)
This age range can best be described as the golden age for trampolining, it is advisable you get 8-12 foot size trampoline to accommodate all the age grades between 4 to 10, although as they get close to 10 years it is advisable for you to get bigger trampoline of at least 14 feet so as to build a smooth transition process from age 10 upward.
- For age eleven (11) to adult
This age range is mostly teenagers and so in getting trampolines there is need for you to get trampolines with sizes bigger than 14 feet, a good example of this type of trampoline is the skywalker 15’ round with safety enclosed net.
Trampoline is a unique engagement that is capable of evoking fun for all ages, it involves bouncing on trampoline and sometimes performing stunts on it, trampolining has overtime gained a level of acceptance that is unprecedented, it entered into the Olympics in 2006 and is also a major backyard and indoor games especially for toddlers; common injuries that could come with wrong use of the trampoline are sprains, fractures, soft tissue injuries like elbow, spin, ankle, head injury etc. this piece however is a concerted effort to recount the history of trampoline, its components and materials, its applications especially for toddlers, its importance and age-range specifications of toddlers who can use it, the health benefit that comes with toddlers using it and then a reviews of some very unique trampolines for toddlers; however they are facts about trampoline that you ought to know some of this facts are:
- Trampolines are not as harmful as may think, in fact based on studies the actual number of minor injuries per annum is actually 288 not 100,000 as was earlier proposed and some of this minor injuries are fractures, cuts, sprains etc.
- The trampolines in itself has no problem rather it is the nonchalant attitude of some parents that causes the possibility for an accident, parent ,must be responsible in actively ensuring that they assemble trampoline safety net properly and also ensure supervision.
- It is advisable to know the pound (weight) strength of a trampoline so that you can know if it can accommodate more number of toddlers.
- The evolutions in trampolines are compelling producing companies to use cable instead of the erstwhile springs although the spring can give you a better bounce experience but the cable is a lot safer for toddlers because toddlers can get their fingers stuck in it.
- Trampolines come in different varieties but it is better to purchase a trampoline that has a safety net especially for toddlers, because the net will give your children the needed level of protection
- Trampoline offers an array of tangible exercises that endears them to most exercise conscious homes, because trampolines in 10 minutes burns more calories than jogging would in 30 minutes.Trampolines enhance your motor skills, improve body balance and coordination, develop core strength and is very good for the heart.